Friday, January 7, 2011

The Painting

In October 2010, my dear friend and international artist, Pieter Janse van Rensburg, asked me to do an interpretation of one of his paintings in fabric for an exhibition April 2011.

Although huge, this project is still a lot of fun and working with the design of a Master, brings you back to the basics. Light and shadow, circle of movement, Colour and contrast. He joined me for a visit with my sister and mentor Ethelda Ellis, for a quick educational tour in painting with fabric. I grabbed the camera to capture the two masters jabbing away, both of them in awe about each other's work. I was speechless.  This is a rare opportunity that I value and treasure!


The painting I'm interpreting is also featured on Pieter's Website at http://www.pieterjansevanrensburg.co.za

I'm doing this in Pam Holland's technique of realistic applique.

Watch this space for the completed quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment